The humble can of beans — a back of the cupboard staple, that should never be underestimated as wonderful flavours can emerge from such simplicity. Acidity through lemon and vinegar, combined with rich olive oil, a few spices, and fresh herbs is all you need to make a delicious, wholesome and healthy dish. The longer the beans sit, the better. Whether you are taking part in Veganuary this month or just looking to try something new, then this is this perfect dish. I love to serve with toasted bread, some fresh avocado, or whatever else I might be craving that day.
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp aleppo pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 tsp cider vinegar (or any vinegar of your choice)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped dill
- In a large bowl, combine the beans with the sliced shallot, garlic powder, aleppo pepper, salt, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, parsley, and dill. Mix well.
- Finish with an additional generous drizzle of olive oil. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to deepen.
Photography and recipe by Noreen Wasti